Deciding what to pack in my suitcase to travel on a short overseas holiday usually takes me weeks and I’m the sort of person that will meticulously lay outfits out on my bed and see how many outfits I can make with the contents of my suitcase. So you can imagine how difficult it was for me to try to pack my suitcases to move overseas!
Most of our items got professionally packed into a shipping container and so all I had to pack was ‘important’ items that I ‘needed’ for the next three months while we wait for our container to arrive! If you’re wanting to do this if you have a long-distance move coming up, you could look into containers like these 40′ storage containers for sale or similar, depending on your moving requirements!
47 kilos later (which included 5kg of excess luggage) – this is what I deemed ‘important’ enough to live off for the next three months:
1. Obviously clothes, shoes and toiletries. Of course it doesn’t help that it is coming into winter in the UK so I had to pack my warm and woolly clothes (hello mountains of space bags!). The rest of my clothes were in these little La Poche packing cubes which I think are an (OCD) traveller’s best friend because they keep your clothes from getting all jumbled up when you tip your bag up onto it’s wheels!
2. A raft of techie goods to get you through the next 24 hours on the plane – iPad, iPhone, Macbook, ear phones galore and a bag full of carefully wrapped chargers (the My Bobino Cord Wrap or Night Ize Gear Ties work wonders to stop cords getting into a tangled mess!)
3. And this is where it starts to get a little weird – my ‘interior necessities’…
- 1 x Zakkia Concrete Tray (Totally practical and light to travel… Joking, totally neither of these!).
- A bundle of Avery Trend Diamonds
- 1 x Marble Lustre-Melbourne Candle (The Pommegranate, Sweet Orange & Acai scent will keep me dreaming of sunny skies when it’s dark and gloomy outside!)
- 1 x Vee Spears #10 Print (It’s new and unframed so I will be able to bluetack it up while we wait for our other prints).
- 1 x Menu Salt & Pepper Grinder Set (I have already put them to use in London in our serviced apartment)
- 3 x Kahler mini vases
- 1 x Lustre-Melbourne Copper Candle (another amazing smelling candle for the new place!)
- 1 x Nur Candle Holder (very awkward to pack!)
- 1 x Serax Vase (both of these purchased recently and so I felt too rude to send them on the ship!)
- 1 x Fake Fiddle Leaf Fig (In lieu of me being able to bring my real plant! I wonder what customs thought of this…)
- 1 x Ferm Living Bucket Bag (perfect for hiding clutter!)
- 1 x Kate and Kate Classic Rug (I used it on the plane and it will be perfect for the impending cold London weather).
And that more or less equates to 47kg of luggage… Yes I’m crazy I know – I think my carry on alone would have been another 18 or so kilos and I was holding my breath all the way to the plane hoping no one asked me to weigh my bag.
Luckily all my suitcases arrived safely and we’ve found an apartment (after a whopping 14 apartment viewings in a single day!) so hopefully these guys will find a place in my new home soon! I can’t wait to start showing you around London – I’ve got a ‘first week in London’ post brewing so keep an eye out for it!