I am definitely a victim of hangryness (hungry + angry) to the point where I usually have to carry around a muesli bar or some lollies in my bag so I (and the people around me) can survive until I find a proper meal. While sugary treats are great to get an instant energy fix, they usually leave you feeling flat a few minutes afterwards.
These healthy nutty muesli bars are my latest hangry saviours! Not only are these bars perfect to pop in your bag but they are full of nuts and grains so they will easily keep your energy up for another couple of hours!
This recipe is an adapted from the creative healthy chef, the Secret Squirrel, who whips up the most scrumptious simple and wholesome food! Go check out her recipes if you want some tasty food full of nutritious ingredients!
So let’s get nutty and start baking!
1 Cup Firmly Packed Medjool/ Californian Dates
1/2 Cup Oats
1/2 Cup Bikinis (the raw buckwheat kind, not the beach kind! – Should be available at most health food stores)
1/2 Cup Desiccated Coconut
1/2 Cup Sesame Seeds
1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds, Chopped
1/2 Cup Crunchy Peanut Butter
1 Tablespoon Almond Spread
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil
2 Tablespoons Agave Syrup
1. Preheat oven to 120 degrees celcius.
2. Soak the dates in hot water for a few minutes and then remove the pips. Put the dates into a food processor and blend until a smooth paste forms (if you are using a stick blender then add a little of the water that you soaked the dates in).
3. In a separate bowl measure out the remaining ingredients (oats, bikinis, desiccated coconut, sesame seeds, chopped almonds, almond spread, peanut butter, coconut oil and agave syrup).
4. Put all the ingredients into the food processor with the date paste. Pulse until all the ingredients are combined. Your mixture should look something like this…
5. Line a 20 x 20cm tin and firmly press the sticky mixture into the tin.
6. Bake for 20 mins – the muesli bars should be until nice and golden. Wait until the bars have cooled and then cut them up into tasty bite sized treats!
If you don’t eat all your muesli bars at once then you can share these with your nutty buddies! I’ve wrapped my muesli bars with this cute paper and primped them with a little grey bow.
And to make them travel friendly I’ve also stamped my own gift tags to tie around a box. #wrappedwithlove #marthastewarteatyourheartout
I hope you enjoy these simple treats as much as I do and these healthy bars help you to cure any future feelings of hangryness!