Whilst it’s not Father’s Day in the Australia this weekend, this recipe is an ode to my Dad who is a HUGE fan of mushroom on toast!
I get that mushroom’s aren’t everyone’s jam but they are one of my favourite pantry staples! We use them in pasta, bolognese, risotto, stir frys and we are also huge lovers of truffle over drizzled over just about anything too!
In addition to being extremely tasty, mushrooms have also been linked to cancer prevention, can boost your immunity and are a great source of vitamins and minerals. Not mush reason not to love them right?
So here’s my mushrooms on toast recipe that you’ll be able to make in a flash! The extra truffle butter and garnishes of pecorino cheese and balsamic vinegar jazz up this recipe for special breakfasts like Father’s Day! Hope your Dad enjoys it as much as my Papa does!
Mushrooms on Toast
1 Clove Garlic
1 Tbs butter
1 Tbs Olive Olive
1 Tbs Truffle Butter or Oil (Optional)
10 x Swiss Brown Mushrooms
250g Smooth Ricotta
Toast (I used mushroom ciabatta but I love sourdough too)
Pecorino cheese (or parmesan) + Balsamic Vinegar + Basil to garnish
1. Finely chop up your garlic and also slice your mushrooms (about 3mm thick).
2. Add you oil, butter and truffle butter or oil into the pan over a medium heat.
3. Once the butter has melted, add in the garlic and fry until it has softened but not brown (30 secs to 1 min).
4. Add in your sliced mushrooms and cook for about 4-5 minutes until they are soft but still have their shape. Set aside.
5. Meanwhile, put your toast in the toaster (on on a griddle if you like it a bit smokey and charred).
6. Top your toast about 1-2tbs of ricotta, then add on your mushrooms.
7. To make your toast even more delicious, top with a sprinkling of pecorino cheese, drizzle with a little balsamic vinegar and garnish with some fresh sprigs of basil.
Show me your mushy creations @theurbanquarters or #tuqcooks