My cocktail of choice of late has been an Aperol Spritz. I love the citrus flavours, the simplicity and oh course, the prosecco! However on the weekend I had a clan of people coming over for brunch and wanted to create something as simple and delicious but a bit more appropriate for brunch!
I know we’ve probably all passed the age of enjoying super sweet cocktails (I’m looking at you frozen strawberry daquiri) and whilst I love a Bloody Mary, I know they can make some people’s stomachs turn!
The alternate? A blackberry a thyme fizz of course! It’s got juicy blackberries which are in season at the moment, a few springs of beautifully scented thyme and it’s topped with prosecco. It’s only got 5 ingredients, it’s easy to make before you guests come over and it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser!
Glasses & napkins: Anthropologie
Blackberry & Thyme Cocktails (Serves 6)
1/2 Cup White Sugar
1/2 Cup water
1 cup blackberries
2 springs of thyme
1 bottle of prosecco
Extra blackberries, thyme, small cocktail skewers and ice to serve!
1. Place sugar, water, blackberries and thyme into a small saucepan over a low heat. Stir for about 5 minutes or until blackberries have softened (don’t let it boil or it will turn into a toffee!).
2. Pour the syrup through a sieve into a small bowl. Then press the blackberries through the sieve until you’re just let with seeds.
3. Pour the blackberry syrup into a jug and put it in the fridge to cool.
4. While you are waiting for the syrup to cool, you can make your cocktail garnishes.
Take a cocktail skewer and press on a blackberry. Add some springs of time and then tie them with a piece of string.
5. Once the syrup has chilled, put a few ice cubes into the glasses and pour the syrup evenly amongst 6 glasses.
5. Top each glass up with prosecco and add a few extra blackberries to the glasses.
6. Add your blackberry garnish onto the rim of your cocktail. You can also dunk the garnish into the cocktail if you love thyme as it will continue to infuse in your drink!
7. Serve to your eagerly awaiting guests and enjoy!