If you know me then you know I have a love affair with doughnuts! Whilst I love a hot doughnut smothered in cinnamon sugar, they unfortunately don’t really feature in the healthy eating pyramid.
This little recipe is a baked version which is slightly healthier (i.e. you can inhale two doughnuts instead of one!) and as an added bonus you can get a bit creative and sprinkle the doughnuts with all your favourite treats!
Makes 18 doughnuts (based on using a Wiltshire Doughnut tin)
2 Cups Self-Raising Wholewheat White Flour ( or normal Self-Raising Flour)
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
3/4 Cup Buttermilk
1/2 Cup Honey (or if you don’t love the sweet taste of honey then substitute this with sugar)
2 Large Eggs
3 Tbsp Light Butter
2 Tsp Vanilla Bean Extract/ Paste
Icing base: 1/2 Cup Icing Sugar + 2 Tbsp Light Milk
Chocolate Icing: Icing base + 2 Tbsp Dutch Cocoa Powder + 1 Tsp Butter
Vanilla Icing: Icing base + 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Bean Paste/ Extract
Strawberry Icing: Icing base + 1/2 Tsp Natural Strawberry Flavouring
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees celsius (that’s 320 degrees fahrenheit).
3. Stir gently just until combined.
4. Grease the doughnut moulds with a bit of butter. Put the batter into a piping bag (or a snap lock bag works too!) and then pipe the mixture about half way in the mould.
5. Bake for 10 minutes. Leave in the mould for a few minutes and then turn over onto a wire rack to discover a ‘hole’ lot of goodness!
6. Let the doughnuts cool down and then ice, ice baby with a choice of your topping below (or all if you are like me and can’t choose!).
7. Dunk your doughnut into the icing and swivel it around. Don’t worry if it is a bit runny – just let the excess drip off on a wire rack. While the icing is still wet, top your doughnuts with pistachios, coconut, cocoa nibs, rose petals or anything else that takes your fancy!!!
Now I know even a huge doughnut lover like myself might think I could eat 18 doughnuts but the reality is that you will probably need to call up a friend of two for a doughnut party (they are best eaten on the same day or the day after!). Hope you have fun with your holey treats!